Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Warm Heads, Warm Hearts

My first stash-busting project of 2013: winter caps for my husband's uncles, E and M, in Massachusetts. These men are two of the warmest, most loving, and most talented people I've ever met. They wove the cloth they used to make my daughter's baptismal gown, and they embroidered it with her name and her baptism date. We'll be sending it back to them so they can do the same for our second daughter's baptism later this year. (And M is a fellow Notre Dame grad...go Irish!) A few years back, they asked me to make them some white skull caps to wear during the winter, and I used the Halfdome pattern from Knitty. Those hats got a lot of wear, and it was time for replacements, so I dug through my stash and found some KnitPicks Swish Worsted Bare and some Lion Brand Cashmere Merino. This was the result. I was a little worried that you could see where I switched from one yarn to the other, but I think it's rather seamless, don't you? I replaced the rolled brim with a 2x2 ribbed brim at the guys' request. I'm sending them off tomorrow! 

2 comments:

  1. These look great! Can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these hats. There is nothing like the perfect knit!

    ReplyDelete