Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Great Beginnings

I'm a yarn-aholic. I love everything about the crafts of knitting and crocheting: the colors of the yarn wound into hanks, the feel of it as it slides through my fingers and onto my needles, the math involved in charting patterns and sizing garments, seeing how a blanket or a stuffed animal I made as a baby gift is loved over the years. I love teaching people to knit and crochet; I love watching their eyes light up when they finally understand the long-tail cast on or how a purl stitch differs from a knit stitch, or how to build height with double crochets. I love talking about yarn and how 100% cotton grows, or how silk makes a drapey fabric, or how alpaca always has such a subtle halo, or what a workhorse merino is.

After a challenging pregnancy, baby N2 joined her 6 year old sister N1 in November 2012. I decided to leave my job for a year to stay home with her. While I'm relishing the time I have with both my girls, not working means less disposable income for little treats like yarn. So I committed that I would knit only from my stash for all of 2013. Really, I'm going to do it. A real yarn diet! Then I thought I'd write it all down to remind myself what I can do with random string and a couple of sticks without spending any money!

I'm not necessarily an impulse yarn-buyer. I like to have a project in mind when I make a yarn purchase. However, I can't pass up a good sale--a trait I got from my mom, an epic bargain shopper. So my stash is pretty extensive. Not as extensive as others I know (and they know who they are), though...but I digress.

There are oddballs that I picked up at my local yarn shop (LYS) or online because I liked the colorway:




There are leftovers from other projects because I bought some extra "just in case" skeins.



There are skeins I inherited from other people's stashes because they couldn't come up with a project for them.





There are whole projects' worth of skeins I bought because they were discontinued or just marked down to bargain basement prices:



There are fine quality artisan yarns and craft-store acrylic:



Handspun from local fibers:


There's yarn I dyed myself with Kool-Aid:

Skeins with no ball bands so I have no idea what they are!


And every weight from cobweb lace to extra bulky:


Are you ready to see the whole stash? Are you sure? Well, here it is, in all it's merino-y, alpaca-y, cotton-y, acrylic-y, self-striping, variegated, semi-solid glory:






I have no idea if anyone is going to read this (besides my mom). I don't think I can ever write as well or as cleverly, nor be as good a photographer as my dear friend Andi. And I'm really bad at keeping up on other people's blogs out there in knitblog-land, but I'm going to try harder. I'm not a tech wiz, so this might look a little rough for a while. But I hope I can entertain and inspire someone along the way, even if it's only myself.

So, here goes. Wish me luck.


9 comments:

  1. Good luck and what a wonderful way to begin a blog. I am sure it will prove to be super inspiring to those of us who "need" to knit from our stash more often.
    Your blog looks wonderful. You have some amazing yarn to choose from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i said it before and i'll say it again HOLYSHIT you have a big stash. i am DYING to see that extra bulky gorgeousness turn into an infinity scarf. can't wait to follow along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. L, I hope that little Gemstone will model the stash-buster items I'm sending her tomorrow so I can post them!

      Delete
  3. Yay!!!!!! I wish I was as talented as you.
    And I also wish yarn rhymed with something pertinent...the way "hugs not drugs" does. "Yarn not guns" doesn't quite roll off the tongue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be following your blog StashQueen, I'm so looking forward to see what goodies you post next. I agree with L...damn that's a big stash! Your mom will be proud!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan! For the record, I plan on raiding my mom's stash this year, as well!

      Delete
  5. I will definitely be checking your progress! I'm on a yarn diet too, but I can only manage until April... baby steps for me, plus I'm going to a fibre festival in April and I don't want to set myself up to fail :O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Alice, and thanks for stopping by! I know what you mean about baby steps. I am still not sure I can do this, but I'm going to try my darndest! When my baby daughter naps (and 3 month olds nap a LOT), I am having so much fun organizing, writing, and planning. My next move is to weigh the stash and document how it "loses weight" while on this "diet." With that being said, I need to dig up my food scale and get to work! Cheers!

      Delete
  6. Thanks to Andi who linked to your blog: I'm currently on a yarn diet too. I will follow your destashing progress! Looking forward to read your next posts :)

    ReplyDelete