Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Surf's Up!

Socks are really fun to make. I'm not as prolific a sock knitter as my friend Andi, who is the queen of pretty socks, but I can hold my own. They need to be interesting for me to make them: lace is good. Purling is not. I hate switching between knitting and purling in the same round on those tiny toothpick-like needles. I'm a thrower, you see, so it takes a lot of effort to do that. :)

I saw these socks on Knitty, and I loved them! I used part of my Christmas KnitPicks gift card to buy the stripey yarn, and I pulled the deep green out of my stash. This was the result. It was fun, and a relatively easy knit, despite the intarsia and knitting back and forth. It's toe-up, meaning you start at the toe and work your way to the cuff. I prefer that method to starting at the cuff and working down to the toe: you can always ensure that your foot is the right length and you can stop knitting the cuff when you run out of yarn. So much safer that way, and no fingernail biting to see if you'll have enough yarn to get to the toe! I'm pretty pleased that the stripes line up as well as they do. There are a few hiccups, but whaddya gonna do?


Project Stats:
Pattern: Stitch Surfer
Source: knitty.com
Yarn: KnitPicks Felici Fingering Weight, Hummingbird; and KnitPicks Essential (Discontinued).

Stash Stats:
Item Weight: 77g
Old Stash Weight: 12,498g
New Stash Weight: 12,421g

1 comment:

  1. I may knit a lot of socks, but you indeed surpass me when it comes to complicated patterns!
    These scare the heck out of me. Love them!

    ReplyDelete