Monday, February 11, 2013

BFFs

When my daughter N1 was born 6 years ago, my very bestest friend and her mom gave her a Bunnies by the Bay security blanket. And it was so cuddly and soft that my baby girl latched onto it right away. Bun Bun went everywhere with us--bed at night, daycare and preschool, Grandma's house, even Disneyland. No matter where we went, Bun Bun was right there in N1's arms. Once we left her in Palm Springs, and we pulled a totally illegal U-turn on I-10 to go back and get her. Another time we left her at the hair salon, and it was a month (and an overnight order from Amazon for a second bunny) before we got her back. Even now, N1 looks for her bunny first thing when she gets home from school and she has to sleep with her every night. This is the Bunny Pose:


Fingers in mouth, nose buried in the ears or neck. N1 is in kindergarten now, so Bun Bun has to stay at home with us. One morning after we dropped N1 at school, this happened:


Oh no. Now this just won't fly. N1 already has to share her parents with her sister, don't make her share Bun Bun too! I knew then and there I needed to get N2 her very own lovey, stat.

I make baby gifts left and right--I love to do it. My cardinal rule is that it has to be machine washable, whether it's a blanket, a quilt, a stuffed animal, or a sweater. It's going to get puked on, peed on, spilled on, dragged through the mud, dropped under the wheels of the stroller, etc. This was the perfect use of some craft-store acrylic, namely Hobby Lobby I Love this Yarn. I had some grey and pink leftovers and I found this Bear Lovey pattern on Ravelry. About 4 hours of work later (stretched over a couple of days), I came up with this:


Time to see if it flies with N2. 


Something tells me they'll be BFFs just like N1 and Bun Bun. Maybe I need to make a second one, just in case...

Project Stats:
Item Weight (with fiber fill): 188 grams
New Stash Weight: 12,233 grams

4 comments:

  1. fkdjhasdfkjhasdkfhjasdfkhjadshkfhkadls OMG. love. "oh i think i'll just whip up a lovey for my baby" said no one ever (except you. amazing!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is super cute - fun stuff! Zoe has a lovie - lamb lamb, or lambie. Or lov lov. Either way, we've got 3 - one spare, one for the crib and one for daycare.

    ReplyDelete